Tips to allergy proof your home
01 September 2014Helpful Tips and Hints
How do allergies work exactly?
When you have allergies, your immune system makes antibodies that identify a particular allergen as harmful, even though it isn’t.
So how do I stop them from becoming a problem?
Just focusing on the basics of a routine and thorough cleaning and temperature and humidity reduction can lead to fewer symptoms and a vastly improved quality of life. The following recommendations can help you avoid allergy triggers and reduce exposure to allergen triggers in your home such as, dust mites, pollen and animal saliva and other allergens.
- Steam cleaning carpets especially in the bedrooms on a regular basis can help reduce the presence of dust mites and other allergens in your home.
- Vacuum at least twice a week during pollen season. Use a vacuum with double bags or a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate) filter. Using a water filtration vacuum cleaner is preferable.
- Use air conditioners instead of open windows during the spring season. Set the AC to “recirculate” and if it’s not hot outside, keep it on filter mode. Avoid using fans since they can stir up dust.
- Make sure air filters and air ducts are cleaned at least once a year.
- Cover air conditioning vents with cheesecloth to help filter pollen.
- We know it’s a little tough here in sunny QLD, but try and keep the humidity in your house below 50% to prevent mold growth.
- Wash your bedding every week in hot water (this is good practice whether you’re concerned about allergies or not!!)
- It is a good idea to take shoes off before you enter your home to keep dust entering your home at a minimum.
- If you keep your pets indoors, don’t allow them in the bedroom and be sure to bathe them often (once a month should do the trick!).
Of course if you are an allergy sufferer, always consult your doctor for any advice. If you’re after some great advice on the best flooring to use for allergy sufferers, our friendly flooring experts are always ready to help you. Pop in and say G’Day to your local Andersens store team.
More like this
Choosing a Neutral Floor Covering
FAQs about Loose Lay Vinyl Flooring, Answered!
Goal-setting for Renovating
What Our Customers are Saying
Jared and Cassandra are hard working, cheerful, honest business partners. They made my experience of choosing carpet and then laying 5 rooms of it simple and convenient. I also had plenty of choice of colour and style from their extensive range. The measure and quote was done in a timely, efficient manner and Jared is very personable. They even quoted, then organised, the shifting and replacement of furniture on the day. I am very impressed with Andersens at Burleigh Heads. Sincerely, thank you both.
Karen for Andersens Burleigh Heads
I cannot speak more highly of Malcolm and the team at Andersens Stafford. The products they laid in my apartment were high quality, well priced and look amazing. If you are looking to re-floor your home or apartment I can't recommend them more highly. Thanks again team!
Raquel for Andersens Stafford
As always, very friendly, offering good advice and delivering an excellent service. I am very happy with my new blinds and floor covering.
Patricia for Andersens Beaudesert
Friendly and professional crew, fast response, impressive work, very affordable, recommend to all, Best in the market!
FlyLice for Andersens Ipswich