Getting your garden ready for Spring entertaining
23 September 2013Helpful Tips and Hints
Sometimes all it takes is a bit of sunshine to give us a bit more energy and bring us outdoors. But you may find as you venture outside, you will notice that the weather has also had a great impact on your garden. Not only is the garden over grown and budding with new growth, winter has left its mark leaving you with broken and dead branches, bare patches in the lawn, and a bit of clean up all round that needs to take place. I bet you thinking, you really don’t know where to start, let alone have the time!
So, with a little motivation and hard work on your part and some helpful tips and ideas on our part, your yard will soon be ready for entertaining and enjoying this beautiful weather.
Here are some tips to get you started:
Usually after the harsh Winter weather, you will find your lawn not only is in desperate need of some attention but it is
covered in dead leaves, dry patches, covered with clover or weeds and really not enjoyable for the kids to play on. So, to prepare your lawn for Spring and Summer here is what we recommend:
- Rake all the dead leaves and dead grass to encourage new growth
- Re-seed or re-turf areas that are bare
- Apply lawn food, or slow release fertiliser and keep people off until it has taken off with some new growth.
- Mow the lawn once the new grass is established, but be sure not to trim it too short as with the warmer weather it may burn
Adding a little colour to your outdoor area
Here are some great ideas on how to add a splash of colour to your outdoor area:
- Flowers- If you want to add a splash of colour to your garden for Spring, we suggest you plant flowering spring annuals for an instant lift, but if you want to plan ahead to make it easier next year, look into bulbs that will flower in particular seasons.
- Furniture- Add a bright feature chair, feature pot or ornaments. Update your wall hangings, outdoor cushions or for a more dynamic approach re-tile with feature tiles.
- Artwork- Cast iron, sealed canvas art, mirrors, hanging planter baskets and chimes all make the area feel finished and decorated.
Prune & Weed
A job nobody really wants to do but essential for new growth. Prune back all your hedges & bushes, remove any dead palms or branches, clip those flowers, remove all the weeds from pebbled areas and those pesky spots. As tedious as it can be, weeds in your garden beds can spread and take over.
Spring is a great time to start a vegie garden, and these days you can turn them into a real feature. Whether it is planting a new garden or just a few feature herb pots, you can create a tasteful feature for your outdoor area.
Clean and Mend
With the warmer weather meaning you will be spending more time outdoors, relaxing and entertaining it is important to make your entertaining area clean and safe for guests. Here are some must do’s:
- Check outdoor furniture and outdoor sitting areas; wooden furniture may need to be repainted or re-oiled. Nuts and bolts should be checked and tightened.
- Clean the pool and test the water, it may have been a long time since you went for a swim so again, make sure it is safe and clean for guests and family.
- Clean the barbecue and replenish gas bottles, especially important if you are the host.
- Paving and other hard surfaces may benefit from a vigorous sweep or hose to remove accumulated leaves and dirt.
Renovate or Upgrade
If you really want to create a comfortable outdoor space for entertaining, consider all the options. Look at paving or tiling an outdoor area for a purpose built sitting area, perhaps put in that decking around the pool you have always wanted. Look at pathways in and out of the house, shade such as outdoor blinds, shutters to make the space useable throughout the day. Lastly think of lighting, can you see the bbq area at night while you are cooking, can you see the kids in the pool when they go for a night swim and so on.
If you need some advice on outdoor flooring, contact Andersens for a free measure and quote on 1300 116 726 or contact us via email to arrange a time.
More like this
Choosing a Neutral Floor Covering
FAQs about Loose Lay Vinyl Flooring, Answered!
Goal-setting for Renovating
What Our Customers are Saying
Jared and Cassandra are hard working, cheerful, honest business partners. They made my experience of choosing carpet and then laying 5 rooms of it simple and convenient. I also had plenty of choice of colour and style from their extensive range. The measure and quote was done in a timely, efficient manner and Jared is very personable. They even quoted, then organised, the shifting and replacement of furniture on the day. I am very impressed with Andersens at Burleigh Heads. Sincerely, thank you both.
Karen for Andersens Burleigh Heads
I cannot speak more highly of Malcolm and the team at Andersens Stafford. The products they laid in my apartment were high quality, well priced and look amazing. If you are looking to re-floor your home or apartment I can't recommend them more highly. Thanks again team!
Raquel for Andersens Stafford
As always, very friendly, offering good advice and delivering an excellent service. I am very happy with my new blinds and floor covering.
Patricia for Andersens Beaudesert
Friendly and professional crew, fast response, impressive work, very affordable, recommend to all, Best in the market!
FlyLice for Andersens Ipswich