Child Safety and Blinds
01 October 2014Helpful Tips and Hints
You can never completely “child-proof” your home. You can, however, dramatically reduce the risk of injuries by making a few changes to your home. Parents and carers are urged to take the necessary steps to ensure blinds and curtains in your home don’t pose a threat to your children. Go through every room in your home and check for any blinds or curtains with long cords that are either loose of looped. This includes any cords that are within children’s reach at floor level or near furniture that they can climb on.
• Do not put children’s, beds, highchairs or playpens near a wind where children can reach the blind or curtain cords. The cords can get around children’s necks and strangle them while they are playing or sleeping.
• Do not place sofas, chairs, tables, shelves or bookcases near windows with corded blinds or curtains. Young children often like to climb onto furniture to look out the window if they can reach the cords, they may quickly become entangled in them, lose their footing and suffer strangulation or serious injuries.
• Make sure blind and curtain cords are not hanging anywhere within children’s reach. Loose cords can easily wrap around and strangle children who are jumping, playing or climbing nearby.
• If blinds have to have properly looped cords. Ensure you secure these cords with either;
-tie-downs (cleats) or
-tension devices that enclose the cords and chain loops. You can get at any hardware or window furnishing stores.
• If you are living in a rental property, seek help from your landlord or agent to ensure cords and chains are out of reach.
Above all always supervise children in any rooms with reachable blind or curtain cords. For more information on child safety and blinds, Download this brochure.
More like this
Choosing a Neutral Floor Covering
FAQs about Loose Lay Vinyl Flooring, Answered!
Goal-setting for Renovating
What Our Customers are Saying
Jared and Cassandra are hard working, cheerful, honest business partners. They made my experience of choosing carpet and then laying 5 rooms of it simple and convenient. I also had plenty of choice of colour and style from their extensive range. The measure and quote was done in a timely, efficient manner and Jared is very personable. They even quoted, then organised, the shifting and replacement of furniture on the day. I am very impressed with Andersens at Burleigh Heads. Sincerely, thank you both.
Karen for Andersens Burleigh Heads
I cannot speak more highly of Malcolm and the team at Andersens Stafford. The products they laid in my apartment were high quality, well priced and look amazing. If you are looking to re-floor your home or apartment I can't recommend them more highly. Thanks again team!
Raquel for Andersens Stafford
As always, very friendly, offering good advice and delivering an excellent service. I am very happy with my new blinds and floor covering.
Patricia for Andersens Beaudesert
Friendly and professional crew, fast response, impressive work, very affordable, recommend to all, Best in the market!
FlyLice for Andersens Ipswich