Keeping your spirits up this Holiday Season
8 December 2014 | In The Community
It’s hard to believe that Christmas is only two and a half weeks away! Holiday season starts for some when the kids are on holidays, for others it’s the beginning of December and for many of us, it’s when annual leave starts – whenever your holidays start we hope it starts happy!
Science supports what we’ve long suspected- Happiness is a choice! Yip that’s right, it’s in your control. We’ve put together a few tips to help you keep your happy holidays… well… Happy!
- The challenge is to not allow the lead up to holidays overwhelm you – try to avoid the “so much to do and so little time scenario”.
- Have moderate levels of expectation and aspirations – don’t allow disappointments and unplanned surprises to undermine your happiness. If you haven’t managed to get everything you wanted to done, then be realistic and re-set your goals. Prioritse what is important and what is not put the not-so-important things you wanted to do, away for another time, especially if you may find yourself in stress mode which blocks happiness.
- Enjoy, appreciate and linger on those little positive moments – you can bet your bottom dollar that having family around (while at times trying) will give you plenty of those
- Live for today, don’t worry about what hasn’t happened yet.
- Smile a real smile – it’s the secret to boosting your mood and lighting the moment for others.
- Practice gratitude – a thankful heart increases happiness, and isn’t that what the holidays are all about?
- Pursue happiness – it leads to success not the other way round.
- Be compassionate, practice compassion it rewires your brain and changes what you are.
- Don’t let a bad mood hang over you like a cloud – write it down and decide to put it away.
- Above all – Let yourself be happy!